Monday, November 1, 2010

An Eventful End of October

 We have had so much going on these last couple of weeks. We had a death in the family and a funeral, Gavin gave us a big scare, Brad and I went to two parties that were so much fun, I was in charge of a class party AND a ward party, and I wrote a song!! I'm ready for a very quiet November. 

Brad's grandpa, Harold Young, passed away on the 24th. He had alzheimer's and was in his 80's, but it was still hard to say good-bye. He did so much for our community and family. He was truly an amazing man! We will miss him dearly. I wrote a song as a tribute to him and Grandma. I performed it at the funeral and my sister in law Sidney sang it. It turned out really beautiful and I'm thankful for the help I received in writing it from the Lord. Brad did an amazing job writing the history and giving it at the funeral. The whole thing was really beautiful.

I was also in charge of Bronson's Halloween party at his school, that happened to be on the same day as the funeral. It was a very stressful and emotional day. It was so much fun to have all our family here for Halloween though. Thursday night we carved pumpkins with cousins and had lasagna and a lot of fun visiting. Friday night we went to the carnival at the school and all of my sister in laws and I dressed up like cheerleaders and just had a blast! We took a ton of silly pictures of us. It was a nice release from the funeral.

In the middle of the night on Friday at about 4am, Gavin came upstairs and was not breathing very clear at all. Actually, I have never heard anyone breathe like he was, not even Bronson who has asthma. It got worse really fast. He was not getting hardly any air. Brad got his shoes on and I tried to calm him down through my tears by telling him to breathe and patting his back. I tried to get him to breathe through his nose by telling him to smell the flowers. It didn't work. He continued to get worse, and Brad and I started to panic. He got lethargic and pale and laid his head on my shoulder and quit breathing completely. Brad  grabbed him and ran out the door and headed to the hospital. The cool air helped him take some shallow breaths on the way to the ER. I stayed home and dropped to my knees and pleaded for him to be ok and for his lungs to work so he wouldn't have to have a breathing tube put in. I haven't felt so scared and worried in a long time. Brad called me about 10 minutes later and said that he was breathing better and that he was going to be ok. He had an Xray of his lungs taken and was diagnosed with croup. We have been giving him epinephrine and albuterol nebulizer treatments and he is doing so much better. I am so grateful he woke up and knew to get out of his bed for help!! He has been sleeping with Brad and I every night since it happened so we can make sure he is breathing. I am so grateful for answered prayers!!

Saturday night Brad and I were in charge of a huge trunk or treat for our ward! We had a chili cookoff and ate cornbread. We also had a costume party. We had a huge turnout and were so pleased with how it turned out. After that was all cleaned up we headed our for trick or treating with the kids. Wow, what a day and what a week!
 We had a blast at the Halloween Carnival at the school.
 Grandma with almost all of her great grandchildren. What a legacy!
All of my sister in laws and I dressed up as cheerleaders. We had such a good time! I love them all. 
Grandma's showin a little leg!

 Blowing a kiss
 Ooh La La!
With our handsome husbands!
 With sweet Grandma LaVern
 With our football player sons
 With our father-in-law
 With our husband's youngest brother, Cory
Ready for trick or treating!
 Brad and I went to a really fun adult party with some of our friends.  The food was delicious and we played some fun games. Brad won Best Costume of the night! He went as Dwight from the office and I went as a 70's chic.


I made "Ghost Chips" and "Satan's Smoky Guacamole Dip". It was a big hit!

This is my only picture from fight night. We get together with a bunch of our friends and watch UFC fighting on pay per view. It is so much fun. I brought these yummy chocolate pumpkin bars.

11 comments:

rogersinkc said...

Glad everything turned out ok!

Sandra said...

Fun ending well except for the funeral and ER visit. Andrew had croup when he was three and it is scary. The doctor said it would help to take him out in the cool air, just wrap him up so thats what we did. He did get a steroid shot too though. Glad he is okay, that can get scary. I hope your November is a great one.

Cat said...

oh my gosh shannon that is so so scary I am glad gavin is okay!

kitty said...

Croup can be so scary. Most of my kids handle it pretty well, but Elaina always ends up in the ER unable to breathe. So glad your little dude did okay!

Sorry to hear about your Grandpa. Even though you expect it to come at some point, it's always hard to deal with a loss. And don't you think funerals always leave you wishing you had done more for that person, or spent more time with them, or taken more pictures of your kids with them?

Glad you had a fun weekend after all that craziness.

ps.. Grandma showing some leg is so cute. and So funny ;) (see what we have to look forward to?) ha ha

Lonni said...

It was a such a crazy weekend for you! Glad Gavin is okay.

I had so much fun dressing up with you guys. Wish we all lived closer! Can't wait to see you guys again!

Emma said...

I'm glad Gavin is OK. It looks like you had a fabulous Halloween! Tell us more about this new song!

allgirls said...

You had a crazy week for sure! I am SO glad Gavin is ok. I teared up reading it... he is such a special little boy. We love him and love having him at our house... I hope that he is feeling better :) you girls were super cute cheerleaders.... looks like lots of fun!

Katie said...

oh shannon!! how scary! i am so glad that he is ok!

also, LOVE the halloween costumes! too fun!

Erwin and Marie said...

Glad everything turned out ok with your son Gavin. Sorry for your families loss with the passing of Harold. Cute Halloween pictures.

Nate and Brooke said...

Glad everything turned out ok, how scary! I hate the croup.hope he is feeling better. Loved all the pics, looks like u should have been a cheelrleader in high school:) so cute!

Joe and LeiAnn said...

That is so scary with Gavin! Sometimes the Lord's protection over our families is so apparant, like in helping Gavin know to come get you for help. I know He watches over us!

Halloween is so much fun. I love you and your sister-in-laws dressed as cheerleaders. What fun!