I have been trying to think outside myself lately. I have always wanted to do something for someone other than myself or even my own family. I joined rotary club this year. It is a service organization designed to give back to not only our community, but to others in the world as well. Sometimes I feel that all I can handle right now is taking care of my own family, but other times I have a deep desire to do more and to make a difference in other ways too. That is why I became a rotarian. That is why I have planned a huge community craft fair in order to raise money to plant trees at a site here in town dedicated to those who lost their lives to cancer in this area. I keep asking myself why I am doing this. Don't I have enough on my plate as it is(3 kids, started my own business, bear cub scout den leader, activities chairman for my church, on the pta, and the list goes on)? But then I read something like this and it helps me remember why I am doing this. I hope I can instill this kind of attitude in my own kids as well!
http://www.ldsliving.com/article/206346/Teenager-Gives-Children-with-Down-Syndrome-'Hoops-for-Hope'
Here's to thinking outside the box!
7 comments:
that was an awsome story thanks for sharing let me know what I can do to help.
Funny thing, I am playing in a charity tennis tournament this weekend benefiting the rotary club here and I didn't even know what the rotary club is! Thanks! Now I know I am actually helping a really good organization!
just don't run faster than you can walk! but ou are doing awesome!!!
That's great Shannon. I'm sure Shay will appreciate it as well. Love and Miss you guys!
Hey I've heard lots of comments downtown today that your craft fair was awesome and so well done-KUDOS! Look forward to the next one. Great article about service-thinking outside the box is sometimes scary and overwhelming, but so rewarding and always worth it. love ya honey, thanks for your great example.
Thanks Mom! You always make me feel good about myself!!
You're a great person! I've always looked up to you! Thanks for calling today...i needed it too:) Love ya!
Post a Comment