Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Why go private you ask??

Hello! Lots of you have asked me why I am going private with our blog. You are all my friends and close family, so I am going to be frank with you. There's several reasons really. I have heard too many stories recently of cyber stalkers and I don't want anyone in our family to be a victim of this. Unfortunately, I have had a couple of bad experiences with stalkers recently. High school boys were finding pictures of me and printing several copies of them and then handing them out to each other at school, and this is the least of my problems. I no longer am able to have a facebook account or have pictures of me anywhere where they can be "stolen". This experience amongst some others(having my purse stolen in Florida) have put me in high alert and have been a rude awakening to me about how creepy people can be and how careful we all should be, especially with our children. Pictures of our children shouldn't be placed anywhere on the web where any creep can steal them and do who knows what with them. As women, we also have to be especially careful. To tell you the the truth, I think people should stay as far away from facebook as possible! It's a total waste of time and puts us and loved ones in danger. So, I guess if you have to do these types of social networkings just be extra smart and careful about it. If your blog is not private for example, know that anyone can view it and don't state anywhere on there where you live. It's pretty scary to think that a child abductor could find your blog and know your name and where you live!! I almost deleted my blog completely, but I am going to try going private and see how we do. Please don't show our family blog to anyone except your own family. I have only sent invites to people I completely trust. Sorry for the inconvenience! Love ya all.

7 comments:

rogersinkc said...

I was wondering what happened to you on FB. :-)

rogersinkc said...

p.s. I will have to admit that most of my stuff on FB is limited to friends only (I don't even put the year of my birth) and I don't post anything about upcoming trips or where we're at until after we get home.

LaRose Crew said...

yikes shannon! didn't know we had crazed photo stalkers at the high school. let me know if you need me to be your bodyguard! :)

Shanda said...

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I just deleted all my pics from facebook, but that just doesn't seem like enough. I hope everything is ok for you guys!

Joe and LeiAnn said...

I am glad you decided to keep your blog running. Some friends of ours recently had a man try to get his daughter into his car while she was playing in the front yard. Luckily, it didn't work, and the cul-de-sac they live on had lots of other concerned parents watching out for her as well. But I realized that I let Natalie play out in our street all the time. Most of the time, there's someone (or lots of others) out there with her, but it would only take one time that she was alone for disaster. I hate that we have to worry about things like this.

Kelly said...

It was good to see you and catch up Monday night! Look forward to some updates and cruise pics!

kitty said...

That is scary Shannon! If you weren't such a babe it probably wouldn't be as big of a problem! :)

I actually deleted my facebook account a few weeks ago too. I was getting too many men in the stake and old boyfriends from high school popping on to chat. One old boyfriend even called my house. That whole networking world is dangerous for more than one reason.

Hey... how is your private blog coming? I tried to visit it, but it appears as though it isn't set up yet. When I switched my blog to private, I left my regular blog open for my posts without pictures. Posting my kids pictures only on the private blog has relieved some worry.

Good Luck.