Wednesday, July 7, 2010

In Gratitude

It is 2 in the morning and I can't seem to sleep tonight for my own pathetic reasons. So I'm going to write some things that are in my heart.
We were blessed to be able to go to Stadium of Fire in celebration of the 4th of July(see post below). During the preshow some jets flew over our heads and we heard a lot of patriotic songs and several soldiers of different ranks entered the stadium. As each rank was announced men and women from those ranks in the audience could stand as well so we could pay tribute to them. I found myself gulping back a lump in my throat and blinking away tears as I stared at a few men standing here and there. Something inside of me wanted to stand up and run over to each of them and hug them and shed some tears on their shoulders and say thank you for what you have done for me. Thank you for leaving your families so mine can be safe. Thank you for suffering pain and exhaustion and emotional trauma beyond what I can imagine. All for little old pathetic old me! I complain after running 3 miles. I complain for this and that and every dumb thing that goes even remotely wrong in my life. I throw a fit when my husband has to work long hours or when I run out of hot water in my shower or when my stomach hurts because I ate too much sugar. Then I think of the people fighting for my freedoms and I am brought to humility.
I have a cousin who is leaving behind a pregnant wife who will give birth while he is at war. He is also leaving behind a 2 year old son. I have no right to complain! Good luck Ronnie and Cat. Good luck to my other cousins Travis and Lucian. Those boys are all brothers!! My prayers are with you while you are away serving me and our country. I am just so thankful for the priviledges, blessings, freedoms and every other luxury that I enjoy for living in this country. It's those soldiers who have fought and are fighting and will fight that I have to thank. So my heart is filled with gratitude for many things. I LOVE AMERICA and all of YOU BRAVE SOLDIERS!!

3 comments:

allgirls said...

Shannon, your post brought me to tears and gave me goose bumps. I just did a similar post on my blog... the send off this morning was SO sad and I have been bawling off and on all morning. Anyway, what a GREAT post!!

ranlar said...

We do live in a wonderful country in spite of its shortcomings. Aaron made the comment awhile back, "I'll never take some things for granted ever again." I am always humbled by the service and sacrifice of others. Thank you for saying what has been in my heart all this month.

Becks said...

Amen, Shannon. Thank you for sharing. My feelings on this subject are VERY strong, and yet hard for me to put into words. Thank you for saying what I so often feel, but cannot seem to word correctly! I love our service men and women and thank my Heavenly Father DAILY for the GREAT blessing of living in this amazing country! I am eternally grateful for those willing to sacrifice so much for me and my freedoms. In turn, I am also grateful for the families of those that serve this great nation...they are heros, as well! May God bless your cousins and ALL of the 118th Sappers and keep them safe!