Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Why I Love Running

So, I ran in the Olathe 5k last Saturday. I took 4th place in my age division. I achieved my personal best time so far. I took 22nd out of 163 women, and 94th out of more than 400 men and women. I felt good about how I did. I'm excited for the next race. I had the priviledge of watching many people come across the finish line(some finishing a half marathon). It was amazing to watch. Running is difficult and long. As people crossed the line, some would reach their arms into the air and smile. Others would release the tension completely out of their body and make big sighs of relief and accomplishment. I attributed all these images to our lives, and how, if we endure to the end, our happiness and sense of accomplishment will be great. There will be many people cheering us on and welcoming us home, including a loving Heavenly Father and our Savior.

The other day while I was running I suddenly noticed the battle that was going on in my head. I thought it was a little strange.... and interesting. It went something like this:

Three and a half miles, you can do this.
Why is there a wall pushing against me?
Don't focus on the wall, just keep running, it will soon pass.
This is hard and I'm already out of breath. I think I'll stop to stretch a little more.
You don't need to stretch, you're just trying to find a way out of pain. This kind of pain is good, it's making you stronger.
OK, I can do this. Focus on something else besides the fact that it's stinkin hard and you wanna stop.
Yeah, I think I'll stop for just a bit.
NO!! You will not stop, you will be stronger than that.
The wall is moving further away. This is feeling awesome. I can keep going. Keep going.
Around this next corner there's a hill and you will push hard up the hill....
I need to stop and it's ok to stop. I just had a baby and I'm tired. It's ok to walk a little, especially on a hill.
You are going to keep going, steadily up this hill. This is hard, so hard and that means it is making you stronger. You should know that by now. Everything in your life that has been hard and that you have overcome has made you stronger. You will not stop up this hill.
Oh crap, another wall. Push past it....
I am going to die!!
Oh good here comes a downhill.
OK, now I can fly a little down this next stretch. The breeze feels so good against my face and neck. I feel like I could run forever right now. Let the breeze take away all my worries and fears and stresses. My breathing feels nice and steady. Focus on the breathing being steady for awhile...
This is my last stretch and I'm SO TIRED! I'm going to walk now. I hurt. My body is killing me. Why am I doing this? I don't need to train for a race. I must be crazy. Everyone has told you how crazy you are for doing this....
Something inside you wants to do this. You will do this, and you will give it your all. Giving your all feels amazing.
Yes it does. This is it. I can see the spot where I will stop for today. Now go, run hard, as hard as you can until you reach that spot. Harder. Push yourself...
You made it.
Tomorrow I'll do it even faster....

3 comments:

Shane and Michelle said...

Shannon you have a lot of inner strength. What an accomplishment to finish 4th out of all those women. Good job! :)

JoLee said...

Great job in the race! I am impressed. I love the inner monologue. Sometimes when I was running I would find myself thinking about what I think about when I run, which I find very humorous now. How meta.

mags said...

I have always loved running for the very reason that it is sort of a metaphor for life. I always cried when trisdan and haley crossed the finish line at state!